Tuesday, November 9, 2010

....And now, a word from my sponsors.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention two of the great companies I work with, Zildjian and Vic Firth. They have been wonderful about supplying gear, sponsoring clinics I do, etc. In both cases I was using the products for many years before I endorsed them, so it's easy to talk about both companies because I ardently believe in what they do. I'm not currently working with a drum or drumhead company, but have been talking with some interested parties and hope to have something worked out soon. You'll hear about it here first!

I would also like to link you to an excellent Adam Nussbaum video on Jon McCaslin's Four On the Floor. it's great for many reasons, but two that particularly stand out for me are his great use of space, and the idea that the tune is separate from the feel it's played in. At one point he starts playing a bossa/str. 8th type of feel but he's still definitely playing "Doxy".


One more thing before I go. The other day when I posted about some of the early music I listened to, it got me thinking of iconic drum parts, and drum part composition in general.
I sometimes think Jazz drummers feel that they always have keep changing textures, feels, etc. all the time. On the contrary, many great performances in music are founded on drum parts that don't change much. I thought I'd list a few of my favorites, along with the drummer that played them.

Milestones- Philly Joe Jones
Cathy's Clown-Buddy Harman
Sister Cheryl- Tony Williams
When the Levee Breaks- John Bonham
Inflation Blues- Jack DeJohnette
In My Life- Ringo Starr
Sugar Pie Honeybunch- Benny Benjamin

Definitely check these recordings out if you haven't heard them.

No comments:

Post a Comment