Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What makes a musician good?

Hey everyone,
After a lively debate about the Beatles on Facebook recently, I started thinking about my opinions about what qualities make for a good musician and how it's changed over the years. Inevitably when the Fabs come up, people say things to me like, "It's too bad they had Ringo", or "He wasn't a very good drummer. was he?". When I first started playing I was 10 years old and was very impressed by technical flash. For anyone who thinks that way, yes he's not a good drummer. Over years of playing and listening, however, I have come to realize that for me it's not that simple. Nowadays my assessment of a musician's abilities has more to do with many things. Does the musician make me feel anything emotionally? Do they have imagination? Do they have a distinct sound and ideas?

So as far as I'm concerned, Ringo isn't a good drummer.
He's a great one.

Exhibit 1
exhibit 2

No comments:

Post a Comment