Monday, July 11, 2022

Habits and more thoughts on Bass/Drums





 Just a couple of things that came up from some recent posts. One was my recent posting of the Bernard Purdie interview and his thoughts on China-Type cymbals. He mentions that when you mount them right side up, you have a variety of sounds, whereas when they're upside down, you have one sound only. WOW! OF COURSE!You know, for someone who enjoys getting as many sounds out of drums/cymbals as possible, it surprising this had to be pointed out to me! Anyway, I have started mounting my China-types right side up and am loving the results! :) 

This brings up an even more important point though. DON'T TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED!!! Question everything. Nothing "has" to be a certain way. 

The other thing I was thinking about was my recent post on playing with my bass player friend Drew. It's important for non-bass and drums people to realize that NOBODY except the bassist and drummer know what they are going through, and in most bands, they are doing the heavy lifting! They are stoking the fires in the coal room that are making the engine run!  So, take your bassist and drummer's word for it when they talk about the people they work best with. Just as I wouldn't assume I know what truly makes a magical two horn frontline, non-rhythm players (and even pianists and guitarists)  shouldn't assume they know on a micro level what is going on in the rhythm section. :) 

Play on, good people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment