Monday, January 12, 2015

Ted's Rules of Social Engagement

Hey all,
This doesn't have much to do with music directly but, as a public service, I thought I would share my "rules" on behavior online, especially on social media. Remember, this is just my opinion.

1. No profanity
I don't profess to never swear in person, but I certainly don't in any professional situation or public forum. Social media is both these things, and I interact with people of all ages in this realm. I also believe it's good practice to learn to express yourself without resorting to "blue" language.

2. No compromising photos
There was a recent scandal involving the Hollywood community involving hacked nude photos and as much as I sympathize with this invasion of privacy there's an easy way this could have been avoided. No naked pictures ever. It's just not worth the risk. This category also involves any activity you're not comfortable sharing with EVERYONE. It might be fun to show your friends on Facebook what a party animal you are, but what about potential employers? Parents of future students? Photos in the digital realm will be around a long time, if not forever. Don't let a poor decision you made as a (possibly) young person haunt you for the rest of your life.

3. Don't air your dirty laundry
Unless it's the Don Henley song. (Jeff Porcaro, whoooo!)
Seriously, I can't believe the number of times people complain about the service at "Phil's house of Elbow Joints" or that they were treated unfairly at their gig at "The Magenta Flamingo Bar, Grill, and Firearms Repair". If you have a complaint with some business, call, email, or go over there and talk to them. Don't get into a war of words online for everyone to look at like a car accident. This goes for individuals that you feel have mistreated you as well. I was once not paid for a gig and blabbed about it on Myspace some time I ago. I eventually took the posts down because a) I came off as classless, b) I also came off as a raving lunatic, c) I still didn't get paid anyway. Things that seem like legitimate complaints can easily appear as personal attacks and you wind up with a lawsuit on your hands.

4. Steer clear of controversy
Again, this is just my opinion, but I feel that social media/online is a poor place to discuss matters of religion or politics. If you feel strongly about something ( and I have in the past complained about our current government in terms of it's support of the arts) make sure you're willing to stand behind it and discuss it civilly with people who may not have the same views.

5. If you dig something/someone and can say something positive, say it
I've mentioned this before, but I think it's important to encourage others and celebrate their victories when we can. For example, Todd Bishop, Jon McCaslin, and George Colligan have great blogs. What can it hurt to be positive?

Again, take this as you will. We all have to decide as individuals how we present ourselves to the (online) world.

Okay, here's some Roy Haynes I've been digging lately. Notice how how much personality he injects even into a quasi "latin' rhythm. This is on iTunes. I got it. You should too!


No comments:

Post a Comment