Monday, February 14, 2022

Triple Stroke Groove

Inspiration is such a cool thing. If one is open to ideas, and work with them, they lead to more ideas, and at times it seems endless what we can discover. (Note I said at times. Ha!)
Anyway, I was watching a cool IG post Dan Weiss had done about alternating Ruffs and Swiss triplets and then stumbled on to this sticking in triplets, accenting each downbeat….
RLL LRR RLL LRR

After playing for a minute I realized I was doing the triple stroke roll. This was an idea I worked on a lot when I first went to university in the Precambrian era, but haven't spent much time on it lately. It's super fun to voice on the instrument in different ways like RH cymbal/LH snare, a hand on each tom, or this, which is RH hi-hat/LH snare. First I'm playing quarters with the bass drum and then I'm playing Jazz (displaced by an 8th triplet) quarter note triplets with both feet, which creates a fun open and closed thing with the hats. :) Have fun.



Also, Happy Valentine's Day. Next year I'll come up with a beat that's more romantic! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment