Wednesday, December 15, 2010

More Compelling Music

Hey everyone!
I thought I would post some Music I've found interesting lately. The now based in T.O. drummer, Morgan Childs, hipped me to this one. There's a couple of things about it I really dig. One, is that because so many of the songs are familiar, we can catch snippets of tunes we know through the "Dozen Billy Joels Arguing" sound. Also, it has a great shape because as more of the songs end, (most are around the 4 minute mark) the texture gradually thins out and we can discern more detail after that great sea of sound at the beginning. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really like it.





Up next is Edgar Varese's "Ionisation", a great percussion ensemble piece that I actually played when I first went to university. I rediscovered the piece while reading Frank Zappa's autobiography. Again, this piece has a great shape and notice how many "melodies" in the piece are created by instruments of indeterminate pitch. Beautiful!







Finally, we have Steve Reich"s "Clapping Music". I love Reich's hypnotic/phasing type ideas.
So now I want to play 3 drum solos that sound like the music we just heard. That would be something!






No comments:

Post a Comment